Morning Fellow Workers,
- Branch Meetings – To be held monthly (n.b guidelines suggested they should be held in the first week of each month) – more entertaining meetings and more accessible, allowing broader discussion, encouraging people to speak through committing to a whip around at meetings after each agenda point to give everyone a chance to speak, raise a concern or express approval/disapproval. – It was also suggested that Socials after each meeting would be a way to bring people together and make the experience more fun, FW A suggested ‘laser quest,’ there is also a suggestion of film showings. – FW S.I also suggested establishing web forums which the branch can use to discuss topics – AP –Communications Officer to look into the possibility of setting this up.
- Reports – Sec – Set off branch is almost complete, after bank account is ready we are all done and ready for certification. AP – to sort rep cards for those that have done training. – Potential new members in a coffee shop also, so if anyone knows people who work in a coffee shop let em know we are organising there. We also now have stickers, badges and bussiness cards, that will help us organise so if you want some to give out just ask. We have also secured initial branch funds so when we have our branch account set up we will have a starting fund of a certain amount to use as we see fit.
– Comms – Web presences so far – Facebook (IWW Sheffield (UK) Branch) – Twitter (IWW_Sheffield) – Blog and essentially our website (iwwgmbsheffield.wordpress.com/). FW D.G also discussed publishing a quarterly newsletter, for release to our membership and to the wider public to the let people know what we are doing. FW D.G is looking for contributions as well as a name for the paper, so try and think of something Sheffield related that would be wicked cool!
- Pizza Hut – see article on blog – https://iwwgmbsheffield.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/progress-at-the-hut/
- Stall – although was succesful and talked to a fair few people, FW C.W felt the stall needed more focus towards unionising service workers. In that vain it was felt that A) AP More stuff should be got for the stall, relevant to this as well as posters that can show our intent. B) AP – A branch banner that included this would also help to gain peoples attention. A date was not set for the next stall but it should be on a saturday in the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes and ears open.
- Unemployed Workers Union – Although FW M.E was not at the meeting the idea was discussed and it was felt that the first aim should be to AP to create a leaflet that can show the unemployed why they should join and what we can offer as a union.
Potential Office Space